We are almost three months into home ownership, and we are so in love with the house that's it is borderline embarrassing. Capt. Grump has really blossomed into my very own handy man. He finished painting the rest of the house (with the exception of the bathrooms) and now he's starting on painting all the doors. Additionally, he fixed the master bathroom bath faucet (there were problems with the water pressure when we were taking a shower) and he installed blinds in the living room, guest bedroom, and the Capt's video room (formerly the second bedroom).
We added a few new (to us) fixtures to the house: (1) barstools (we inherited them from a friend whose parents were moving); (2) side tables being used as nightstands in our bedroom (purchased off craigslist); (3) the previously mentioned china cabinet (great find on craigslist); (4) round wood end table (craiglist, again); (5) headboard for full bed (headboard was craiglist; the bed we bought new - both to furnish the guest room).
|Finished Guest Room
|Barstools (a/k/a Delilah's favorite place to sleep)
|China Cabinet with Capt's paintings
|Our bedroom - this is one of the two "nightstands" I bought off of craigslist
I am addicted to searching craiglist for furniture. Right now, I'm on the hunt for outdoor patio furniture. I'm having a harder time with this search than the others (I've had two failed attempts to buy) but that's part of the fun of it.
The opposite of fun, however, is what the Capt and I did last weekend. The whole truth is that it started out with Delilahs. For the record, I want it known that we never have these types of problems with Miss Macy, who is practically the perfect cat.
|Portrait of a Perfect Cat
|Troublemaker (yes, she's sitting with her tail IN THE WATER...WTF?)
We put our plan into action last Saturday. The only hitch was that the tie-out did not come with a corkscrew stake to put in the ground. Capt. Grump improvised and used a curtain rod from the garage. He staked it into the middle of one of the tree stumps in our front yard. And then a few minutes later, we were frightened to see water pouring out of the side of the house and into the front yard. The Capt ran to shut off the main water valve and we both realized that the curtain rod had most likely punctured the water line from the street to the house.
I started making phone calls to find a plumber to come out on a Saturday, while the Capt started digging out the tree stump (because we surmised that the plumber would need to get to the line that was broken underneath). We quickly realized that we didn't have the tools necessary to dig out those stumps and so I was sent to search for a stump grinder. My mind is reeling at this time because I'm figuring that this is going to cost us well above $500 for our stupid attempt to allow Delilahs access to the front yard. I was lucky to end up with a great company agreeing to come out and remove both tree stumps for only $140!
|Our stump-less front yard
Finally, we have not forgotten about the Delilahs. She was still tethered to the tie-out while we trying to figure out who to call and she was startled by a garbage can lid being knocked over the wind. She freaked out because she wanted to run but couldn't go that far because of the harness and lead and we watched in what seemed to be slow motion as she jumped and bucked and pulled against the tie-out until she frantically slipped out of the harness. Luckily, she ran back to the house in her panic and I just brought her inside. At this point, my heart is pounding out of my chest, with the cat all freaked out and the thought of the major expense we were going to occur.
|Delilah before the freak-out
I'll end this long story by saying that by the end of the day I was very happy with the look of our new front yard and satisfied that we didn't really spend that much money. Of course, we are no closer to figuring out Delilah's issues with still wanting to be an outdoor cat. I've decided that we should just kill Delilah's soul and force her to be indoors all the time, but the Capt has not seen the light on that issue and still talks to me about how we can help her.
I'm still knitting the Capt's afghan but I also finished a crocheted hat. The hat is too big (typical) but I'm going to wet block it to see if it can be saved. I'll post more about it later.