Sunday, October 10, 2010

Covering Up

I finished my socks. They are unremarkable and I'm hoping to improve on this new short-row heel technique I've learned.

Nothing Fancy.

The New Heel
These socks were knit with size 2 dpns, which are easily my favorite size.  I just cast on 64 stitches and knitted a cuff of 12 rows of K1, P1 (but you knit through the back loop of the knit stitch).  The foot and leg are simple knit stitch all the way around.  The socks don't have a good fit, probably because the garter stitch does not have very much give.

I've started a new pair of socks, but this time I'm going to do the leg and cuff in a rib pattern, to (hopefully) insure that the fit is more snug.  The color pattern of this yarn is also variegated - this time it is greens and browns and gray and turquoise.  I'm planning to knit more of a knee sock.  We will see how this first sock goes.

I have completely given up on trying to do cable patterns in my socks.  I used to love knitting cables, but with socks, I find it too aggravating.  I tried to do cables in my newly cast-on sock, but I frogged it back to the cuff after about four rows.  I'm searching for some patterns that are based on rib stitches but create interesting patterns.  I have a couple more skeins of solid colors (purple and pink) that would really show off cool stitch patterns.  I am relying on Ravelry searches to find free patterns.

I'm trying to distract myself from some real problems at homes by concentrating on my knitting.  So far, all I have been doing is pushing them to the bottom of the pile, but those problems have a way of creeping back up to the top.  I'm not sure what do to; I'm only sure that when these problems come to light, I'm going to be in trouble.

No comments:

Finding My Treasure

Now that my shawl is complete (yarn purchased during the Orange Blossom Yarn Crawl in March), it is just hanging out in my foyer until I de...